On February 18, 2009 in the city council chambers of city hall Council President Vera Ortegon convened a Blue-Ribbon Panel.
The Blue Ribbon Panel is going to look at the “pros and cons” relating to changing the municipal governance of Pueblo.
Pueblo is a city of over a 100,000 residents and is governed by a city council, which elects a Council President yearly, and a city manager.
Here is what I learned:
- Pueblo has a home-rule charter = Self determination
- There are 271 cities and towns in Colorado
- Denver is the only city that the people elect their mayor
- Two Latinos/Latinas on the Panel
- No one mentioned their party affiliation nor civic organizations they are members of that may pose a conflict of interest…i.e. PEDCO
- Less then 15 citizens of Pueblo were in attendance
I hope that at the end of the day political ideology does not stand in the way of progress for the People of Pueblo.
What can you do? Attend the next meeting and check the city website the minutes of the meeting “will be posted”.
Their next meeting is on Ash Wednesday February 25, 2009 from 1PM to 3 PM at the City Council Chambers in City Hall.
1 City Hall Pl, Pueblo, CO – (719) 553-2625
I’ll keep you posted on their progress.